Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Triangle-Based Model, What Went Wrong

This is a screenshot of the triangle model in Rhino after it was baked in Grasshopper and then scaled by 10 in Rhino, with the viewing setting at shaded. You can see that parts of the pipes do not go together well and intersect with overlaps. I was hoping to fix this in 3DS Max.


Here is the imported model to 3DS Max, exported as a .3ds file from Grasshopper. It seemed to import very strangely into 3DS because of the 2 different colours of elements in the model, seeming to be randomly different, but it didn't seem to make a difference when editing the model anyway. It is hard to see in this model, so I have circled some of the problem areas in the image below, but if you look closely at this image you can see that it is happening at almost every intersection of pipes in the model. I was finding that if I 'edit mesh' and select some points at the end to delete, the pipes would not be long enough to still join together, so then I decided to try scaling them, but then they scale from the middle of the element, and to get it back to the right position I had to move it, which made it hard to get the model exactly as I exported in the first place.


This was a very annoying process and the model did not look as even in the pattern as I wanted it too, so decided to go with a different one.

No comments:

Post a Comment